PlayStation returns to exclusivity for single-player games

Intelligence Summary
- PlayStation says new single-player games like Ghost of Yotei and Saros will stay console-exclusive, returning to a traditional exclusivity strategy.
PlayStation returns to exclusivity for single-player games
In a notable strategic shift, PlayStation has announced that it will no longer port major PS5 exclusives to PC. The move marks a significant change in how Sony approaches its first-party titles, especially narrative-driven single-player games.
Changes in policy
At the end of 2020, PlayStation began rethinking its strategy after the release of Horizon Zero Dawn on PC. That was seen as a key moment, leading to other titles such as God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, and Helldivers 2 arriving on the PC platform. While the shift generated more than $1 billion in revenue, recent PC releases have not always performed as strongly, which appears to have contributed to the decision to return to console exclusives.
PlayStation's current head of studios, Hermen Hulst, confirmed in a recent meeting that narrative single-player games such as Ghost of Yotei and Saros will now remain exclusive to PlayStation. Hulst said that multiplayer-focused games like Marathon and Helldivers 2 will likely still appear on multiple platforms. The distinction is a response to increasing competition in the gaming market.
Financial considerations
Reports suggest Sony's PC port strategy has seen mixed results. While titles like Helldivers 2, which launched as a cross-platform game, performed well with peaks of 458,208 concurrent players on Steam, other releases such as Marvel's Spider-Man 2 drew far less interest, with just 28,117 concurrent players.
The disappointing sales of recent PC releases may have contributed to PlayStation's decision to keep its biggest exclusives console-only. Last year, the company also reported a console price increase, raising further concern among consumers that rising gaming costs could discourage them. By keeping its major titles exclusive to PlayStation, Sony hopes to encourage players to move to its consoles.
Timeline
May 18, 2026, 19:15: Sony's single-player story games become PlayStation exclusives again.
May 18, 2026, 22:12: PlayStation tells developers it is returning to exclusivity for single-player games.
May 18, 2026, 23:07: The end of an era for PlayStation games on PC is announced.
Industry reactions
The move toward a more exclusive approach raises questions about PlayStation's long-term strategy. Former PlayStation executive Shuhei Yoshida has suggested that the extra revenue from releasing games on PC helped fund the development of new titles. He noted that it is important for a platform holder like PlayStation to invest in its exclusive games, especially at a time when competition is intensifying.
Recent reports about PlayStation's strategic shift come as other brands are also reconsidering exclusivity. Xbox, which has long pursued a PC strategy, is also facing challenges around cross-platform releases, while Sony is choosing the more traditional route of exclusive content.
In light of these changes, it will be crucial for gamers to watch how this strategy affects future releases and customer loyalty. PlayStation appears to be repositioning its focus to further strengthen the appeal of its consoles and the exclusive titles that come with them.


